Balayage hair color has been around for a few years now and it appears to be here to stay. The best thing about balayage hair color is that it is an ideal choice for those who prefer a more subtle and natural hair color. And one of the most popular trends for brunettes who want a warm natural vibe for their hair is a pretty caramel balayage.
Caramel balayage looks marvelous on dark brown or black hair if you want to give it a soft and warm look. It looks especially stunning on layered hair as it adds depth and dimension.
Balayage is derived from French and means “to sweep.” The process consists of a blending of at least two hair colors for a shadowy blend. When done properly, it almost looks as it has been hand-painted. If you are looking for more shades of balayage look here more for reading about various looks for caramel and other balayage tones.
It is always best to get your caramel balayage hair done by a professional stylist. However, you can also achieve this process at home. The following guide will tell you how to get stunning caramel balayage hues in the privacy of your own home.
How to Get Caramel Balayage Hair at Home
You can choose from many shades to get the caramel balayage effect from honey brown to copper to caramel hues. Be sure to apply the color to the length of your hair as opposed to the roots. Follow these steps to do balayage hair at home.
1. Prepare the dye as directed on the haircolor. If you need to bleach your hair, do so at least 24 hours before coloring. Make sure your hair is clean and free of any hair product.
2. Using a comb, divide your hair into 4 sections. First down the center, and then across so you can work with one section as needed.
3. Be sure to apply Vaseline around your hairline to prevent the hair color from staining your skin.
4. Apply the dye to the one small section at a time to the areas on which you wish to lighten to a caramel balayage. Avoid the roots for a more natural look.
5. Use hair clips to hold your hair in place. Using your fingers (while wearing gloves!) alto blend the color in evenly until fully saturated. Do not rub into your roots or scalp.
6. Leave on for at least forty minutes to an hour, depending on how light you want your caramel hues to look.
7. Rinse thoroughly and condition as required. Do not blow dry your hair but allow it to air dry.
8. Style as desired.
As with any hair color, you will want to try to maintain your caramel balayage as long as possible. Use only shampoos and conditioners that are designed for color-treated hair. Avoid using excessive heat such as blow-drying, straightening or curling your hair with heat. Wear a swim cap when going swimming and a hat when out in the sun to help preserve your hair color.
We are sure that you will fall in love with your gorgeous new caramel balayage hair!